[mythtv-users] List of recordings by disc drive - Solved - now storage strategies

Mike's JdJ stepsisters at comcast.net
Tue Feb 10 01:58:23 UTC 2015

On 02/09/2015 04:47 PM, Karl Newman wrote:

> The general sense on this list is that it's cheaper to add
> storage than to spend the electricity to transcode in order to
> save space. Obviously you already have a number of disks so I'm
> guessing you have physical space reasons for wanting to
> transcode instead of adding drives.
>

> No, mythlink.pl <http://mythlink.pl> doesn't rename files; it
> creates symbolic links with meaningful names which point to the
> original files. You can completely customize how the files are
> named, but it doesn't look like you can group it by disk/path
> location or by storage group.
>
> Karl

MythLink:  Ah, excellent.

More storage:  My Back End motherboard (2011) has 6 SATA ports
available.  Four 1.8 TB discs, one DVD, one system/database
disc.  I could buy higher-capacity drives or new system.  I like
having four spindles, as I almost never record more than four
shows at once.

If I increase Back End storage, I have to do something about my
rsync back-up PC.  It has a 2008 motherboard with three 4 TB
discs and a system disc.  Two of the 4 TB drives are dedicated
for MythTV back-up, the remaining 4 TB drive backs up all the
rest of the systems here.

Conversely, if I transcode, unless it is PBS or TCM, I usually
have a new file that is 2/3 the size of the original.  Even
smaller if I get rid of program portions I don't want, or decide
not to keep the recording.

My present 8 TB system, with recordings since 2011, has 6.2 TB
used, 23% free.  I'm almost 70 years old.  With transcoding, I
might die before running out of space on the existing system.

John Finlay has piqued my interest about transcoding to h264...

Mike