[mythtv-users] LIRC v ir-keytable -- Remote Control

jim jim_32766 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 14:53:36 UTC 2015

On 02/09/2015 03:47 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 08/02/15 21:08, jim wrote:
>
>> The IR receiver is made by Topseed.
>> http://www.amazon.com/USB-External-Infrared-Receiver-Cable/dp/B00J5NRWFO/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423423247&sr=1-19&keywords=ir+receiver
>>

>> Are there multiple paths to integrating a new remote?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Is there a  best-practice?
>
> I don't think so. Rather it's a quite complex decision. Also, using
> LIRC is not really a yes/no question - LIRC can be used in different
> ways. Some thoughts:
>
> - What's your application? If the application doesn't support LIRC,
> the only reason to use LIRC would be if there is no way to get the
> kernel decoding to work.
>
> - If your application supports LIRC, using LIRC offers more
> functionality than plain kernel decoding does. This might or might not
> be important.
>
> - I think it's fair to say that handling a new, unsupported device is
> easier with lirc, at least as long as irrecord does what it should. At
> least, using irrecord should give you a hint about the protocol (RC6?)
> used by the remote.
>
> - Unfortunately, Debian/Ubuntu packages an old LIRC version. Upstream
> is now at 0.9.2.
>

> Is LIRC the way to go?
>
> Since you posted a question about IR-blasting just before this one,
> you will need to install, learn and configure  LIRC anyway. Given
> that, together with that the kernel decoding doesn't work out of the
> box, I think trying irrecord(1) seems like a reasonable approach. If
> this works (not a complicated test), using LIRC certainly is a
> possibility.
>
> And, you can use it in several ways  But that's a later issue. For
> now, I think it makes sense to give irrecord a try.
>
> Cheers!
>
> --alec
I hope to be able to use the IR remote to run my HTPC for several
programs, including MythTV, Kodi, NetFlix, and YouTube. This remote is
attractive as it combines all the utility of a IR remote, mouse, and
keyboard. The remote has high family appeal.

I tried irrecord earlier in the process. Unfortunately, it did not
produce output either.

Again, some of the buttons are functioning. I just can't find a way to
get to the scancode/keycode data to customize the rest of the buttons.

Thanks for your thoughts!