[mythtv-users] LIRC v ir-keytable -- Remote Control

jim jim_32766 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 14:34:53 UTC 2015

On 02/08/2015 09:54 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 18:47:58 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> On 02/08/2015 05:37 PM, Another Sillyname wrote:
>>> Well we've got to the first stage so believe it or not that's good.
>>>
>>> It's more likely that the keycode mapping file isn't the correct one
>>> for your remote (I had this problem and it took me a day to realise
>>> and sort it out).
>>>
>>> Do you have other keycode mapping files from that remote manufacturer?

>> Unfortunately, I don't have a map from the manufacturer and don't see
>> one on their website. I've sent them an email just now. Hopefully,
>> they'll respond with something useful.
>>
>> I was hoping to get some report on scancode/keycode and build a custom
>> map if necessary.  Is there no utility that allows one to see the actual
>> scancodes from the remote? There are 120 maps in the rc_keymaps folder
>> and I would like to avoid trying one after another.
>>
>> Thanks for your assistance!
> Please post the output of a plain "ir-keytable" command.  Frequently,
> there are multiple IR remote inputs on systems with tuners, and you
> may just be using the wrong one.  It may be necessary to use udev
> rules to lock down which /dev/input/event address is used for each of
> the IR inputs.
>
> Also, make sure that lirc is not running when you try ir-keytable, or
> it may be taking the keystrokes and "ir-keytable -t" will not see
> them.
>
> Your Topspeed IR receiver is an RC-6 one, which means that it should
> receive codes from any remote that sends in RC-6 format (a very common
> format).  But I could not find anything on the Amazon page for the
> remote that said what code format it sends.

When I unplug the usb ir-receiver ir-keytable says no node found at
/sys/class/rc/rc*. This must be the only discoverable IR receiver on the
system. Plugging the IR receiver back into a usb port and continuing, I
get the following results.

Running lsusb shows the TopSeed IR receiver at Device 006:
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8001 Intel Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8009 Intel Corp.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 05dc:c75c Lexar Media, Inc.
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 1784:0011 TopSeed Technology Corp. eHome Infrared
Transceiver
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 099a:7202 Zippy Technology Corp.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Here is the output from ir-keytable:
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event14) with:
     Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
     Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC other
     Enabled protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC other
     Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared
     bus: 3, vendor/product: 1784:0011, version: 0x0100
     Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

I've tested allowing only one "Enabled protocol" at a time, but that
made no difference.

lirc has been removed from the system to ensure it is not interfering.
Still something is grabbing the events and stopping ir-keytable -t from
showing the scancode/keycode.

Some of the keys, such as volume up, result in a temporary pop-up window
showing a speaker icon with associated increase in volume, but nothing
is shown by ir-keytable -t on the command line.

Thanks again to all for the assistance. I am really stumped on this one.

Jim