[mythtv-users] LIRC v ir-keytable -- Remote Control

jim jim_32766 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 8 21:47:10 UTC 2015

On 02/08/2015 03:38 PM, Another Sillyname wrote:
> I used LIRC for years and just recently switched to use the Linux
> Kernel drivers, while it was a bit of a pain to get setup (as was LIRC
> originally frankly...) once working it's fairly straightforward.
>
> There is however conflicting information regarding the required
> location of the Remote Device files on the web.....I came to the
> conclusion that different distros were doing it in different
> ways.....anyway.
>
> If you want to try going the kernel drivers route.....
>
> Install v4l-utils (this should provide ir-keytable   - make sure it
> does in your distro)
>
> This 'should' setup a directory likely under
>
> /usr/lib/udev/rc_keymaps
>
> in this directory you'll find a load of mapping files for assorted
> different remote controls....find the one that matches your remote.
>
> make a directory (if it's not already there)
>
> /etc/rc_keymaps
>
> COPY the file you identified previously to this directory
>
> reboot
>
> login...etc....open command line terminal
>
> run (as root) ir-keytable -v -t
>
> press buttons on remote and see if you get output....
>
> GL
>
> On 8 February 2015 at 20:08, jim <jim_32766 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Up until now I have been running MythTV using a wireless keyboard that has a
>> trackball and mouse buttons. It's time I integrated a remote for the family.
>> I have been struggling to incorporate a new remote control and would like
>> some thoughts from the group.
>>
>> The remote is a combination IR remote, air mouse, and keyboard made by Aerb.
>> It's an attractive unit and seems to be constructed well.
>> http://www.amazon.com/Aerb-Multifunction-Wireless-Keyboard-3-Gsensor/dp/B00K768DHY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423425443&sr=1-1&keywords=aerb+remote
>> The air mouse and keyboard functions are achieved via the 2.4GHz connection
>> and work out-of-the-box. Some of the IR remote keys work out-of-the-box but
>> several do not. I've run ir-keytable -t and xev, plus showkey in a non-x
>> console in an attempt to learn the scan codes and key assignments. Only
>> showkey gives results for all keys and those results don't agree with the
>> few keys for which xev provides a report.
>>
>> The IR receiver is made by Topseed.
>> http://www.amazon.com/USB-External-Infrared-Receiver-Cable/dp/B00J5NRWFO/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423423247&sr=1-19&keywords=ir+receiver
>>
>> Are there multiple paths to integrating a new remote? Is there a
>> best-practice? Is LIRC the way to go?
>>
>> Here is the configuration I am running:
>>
>> Linux Mint 17.1
>> Kernel  3.13.0-24-generic (x86_64)
>> MythTV Version : v0.27.4-30-g3b43903
>> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
>> Network Protocol : 77
>> Library API : 0.27.20141016-1
>> QT Version : 4.8.6
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim
In Linux Mint the packages ir-keytable and v4l-utils are separate. I've
installed ir-keytable but not v4l-utils. Are both packages required?

I don't have a /usr/lib/udev/rc_keymaps/ but I do have a
/lib/rc_keymaps, and many keymaps are in that directory. I've copied the
one I believe is correct to /etc/rc_keymaps/ as suggested. I've rebooted
and run ir-keytable -v -t. The number keys have a response, but they
don't appear as scancode and keycode, just their numeric value, e.g.
pressing 1 results in a 1 on the screen. Few other keys have a response.

Something is stopping ir-keytable from showing the keycodes. I tried
this with MythTV running and with it shutdown; the results were the same
in both cases.

Anyone else experience this problem?