[mythtv-users] ECS LIVA vs ECS LIVA-X

Tom Bongiorno tbjr at bongohut.com
Fri Feb 6 13:05:38 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 5:35 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 9:56 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:
> >> It is funny that you say that about the VAAPI deinterlacer. I have been
> >> experimenting with a Zotac ZBOX CI320 nano with Intel HD graphics. I was
> >> doing near frame-by-frame comparison with my VDPAU system after
> something
> >> didn't seem quite right. The VDPAU system provides a better picture in
> my
> >> opinion. I suspect it is the deinterlacer quality.
> >>
> >> -Tom
> >

> > I'm reluctant to give up my Atom/Ion box and its VDPAU support.
>
> The nVidia (GPU assisted) de-interlacer has, for years,
> been of high quality (the benchmark) for PC based video.
>
> Each recent generation of Intel HD graphics has improved the
> de-interlacing capabilities.  While early generations were
> essentially Bob only, the lastest VPP support is (stated) to
> include Bob, MotionAdaptive, and MotionCompensated
> (and various other video enhancement capabilities).
> AFAIK, no one has decided to scratch their itch to add
> the latest VAAPI de-interlacer support to MythTV yet.
>
> Is should be noted that your TV (or A/V receiver) may also
> have a very good de-interlacer, if you can convince the
> driver for your video device to send the native format to
> your TV.

Your point about the TV doing the deinterlacing is definitely worth
investigating. However, I have heard this can be quite difficult to
configure correctly. My guess is that someone will get the itch in the next
couple years with the growth of tiny frontends with Intel graphics.

I know I may be oversimplifying this, but I will ask it anyway. Has Intel
already added all of these video enhancements to the linux driver, but
MythtTV needs to add the appropriate API calls at the appropriate times to
utilize the new stuff? I am not saying this is trivial. I am just looking
to understand the current state of things.

-Tom