[mythtv-users] Multi-Year Installation Major Disk Corruption - Answer Needed Quickly

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 5 11:36:54 UTC 2015

On 02/05/2015 12:21 AM, Douglas Wagner wrote:
> Oh that's interesting.  I could have sworn a while back there was a
> way to re-integrate a video recording,

There was(/is if you look in the right--or should I say "wrong"--places)
a script to do that, but it is not supported because it does not insert
the data correctly and leaves corrupt data in your database.  Rather
than fix the (myriad of) problems with that script and try to keep it up
to date with the changing needs of mythbackend, the supported approach
is to put the videos into Video Library.  The reason for this is because
the "Watch Recordings" area of MythTV is a section where recorded
video--that was recorded /and/ inserted into the database by
mythbackend--is shown.  In other words, "Watch Recordings" is video
provided and maintained by mythbackend.  Video Library, on the other
hand, is a section of MythTV specifically designed for user-provided
and/or user-managed video.  And since Video Library now has metadata
support for TV shows that meets (or exceeds) the capabilities of "Watch
Recordings", it's a better place to put those shows.  So, if it's a
video that you provide, or if it's a video whose file name you want to
control, or if it's a video you'd like to organize (into
folders/hierarchies), it belongs in Video Library (that includes any
recordings that are actually in "Watch Recordings" that you plan to keep
long term and would like to include in a section that's designed for
managing large libraries of videos--"Watch Recordings" is not very good
at managing a huge collection of recordings, so it may make sense to
move some recordings to Video Library.

See, also, http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519758#519758

> since the recordings are all in "channel number_<date><Time>" format,
> I figured that was enough.

With the script you would have still had to type in channel number,
start time, title, subtitle, description yourself (which means
identifying it all yourself), regardless of the file name.  With Video
Library, you can type that all in or--better--rename the file according
to the supported name formats (such that the file name now actually
helps you identify the show if you lose your database again) and let it
look up the metadata for you.

Mike