[mythtv-users] ECS LIVA vs ECS LIVA-X

Tom Bongiorno tbjr at bongohut.com
Thu Feb 5 05:56:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 7:11 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:
>
>> When considering a frontend only machine, is there any reason to pay the
>> extra $50 for the ECS LIVA-X?
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501007
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501011
>>
>> I have the first version and I use it for watching SD MPEG-2 recordings
> over gigabit Ethernet. It has been completely satisfactory and I have no
> performance concerns about it. Others have reported success with HD
> content. There is the caveat that deinterlacing with VAAPI is not as high
> quality as what is possible using VDPAU, but personally I've never noticed
> a problem with deinterlacing. And of course, buying the Liva-X would not
> address that issue anyway.
>
> Karl

It is funny that you say that about the VAAPI deinterlacer. I have been
experimenting with a Zotac ZBOX CI320 nano with Intel HD graphics. I was
doing near frame-by-frame comparison with my VDPAU system after something
didn't seem quite right. The VDPAU system provides a better picture in my
opinion. I suspect it is the deinterlacer quality.

-Tom