[mythtv-users] Multi-Year Installation Major Disk Corruption - Answer Needed Quickly

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Feb 5 05:01:01 UTC 2015

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 20:05:28 -0600, you wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 8:00 PM, Anthony Giggins <seven at seven.dorksville.net>
>wrote:
>

>> On 5 February 2015 at 11:39, Douglas Wagner <douglasw0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Manger's Summary:
>>> =================
>>> Mythbuntu 12.04 Installation,
>>> Operating System / OS Disk Massively Corrupted
>>> MythTV Database Corrupted
>>> TV/Recorded files fine.
>>> Do have a SQL Export Backup from the 21st.
>>>
>>> What's my best option of getting a mythtv installation back up in the air
>>> on a new OS disk and re-importing the database backup?
>>>
>>> Can I install Mythbuntu 14.04 and do it (the export is from 12.04) or
>>> should I reinstall 12.04 and them Release-Upgrade to 14.04?
>>>
>>> This is a work in progress (I'm replacing the HD as I type) so any fast
>>> answers would be DEEPLY appreciated.
>>>

>>> The Story
>>> ==================
>>> So as the title suggests I've got a 5+ year Mythtv installation (been
>>> through quite a few upgrades since initial installation).  As of yesterday
>>> I found the database not booting and stupidly decided an upgrade would fix
>>> that (always has in the past).  To make a long story short the patch
>>> upgrade failed massively so I decided to try a distro upgrade (it was 3 in
>>> the morning, I was sick, give me a break :) ) and that's about when I
>>> figured out my OS disk is very quickly dying.  Hafl the packages downloaded
>>> onto a corrupted part of the disk and couldn't be un-compressed, half my
>>> log files are unreadable, oh yea, and my Mythtv database files are corrupt
>>> (which is what was causing the MySQL installation not to boot in the first
>>> place)...and my last good Database backup is from almost 2 weeks ago, etc.
>>> (Thank God I could find one at least semi-recent backup / export that did
>>> unzip ok).
>>>
>>> So just to make sure I'm nice and clear, I'm part way through an upgrade
>>> from Mythbuntu 12.04 -> Mythbuntu 14.04 and I'm not going to get any
>>> farther.
>>>
>>> This thing is toast.  To be fair to myself, I wasn't going to be able to
>>> save this install, and the MythTV Database was already destroyed prior to
>>> me even trying to upgrade/patch the box, so I really haven't made anything
>>> much worse than it already was.
>>>
>>> I'm sitting here with a new OS disk I'm about to install, I realize I'm
>>> going to have to build this back up from laying down the OS.  My question
>>> is about database recovery.
>>>
>>> Since I'm still on 12.04's version of MythTV (.26 I think), can I install
>>> Mythbuntu 14.04 (Mythtv .27? I think), and import the database or are there
>>> major database changes between 26 and 27 that require me to install12.04,
>>> Import the DB to there, then release-upgrade to 14.04?
>>>
>>> The more generic question is:  What's the best way to recover a database
>>> backup on some midline version of .26 Mythtv?
>>>
>>> I've got (I think) all the uncorrupted actual recordings, I just need to
> [...]

You need to use the mythconverg_restore.pl script to do a full restore
of your backup.  It is found in /usr/share/mythtv on Mythbuntu 14.04.
Instructions are in the Wiki:

  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

Make sure you run mythtv-setup before allowing mythbackend to start -
it is a much better way of upgrading database versions.  When you run
mythfrontend for the first time, it will then do the database upgrades
for any of the plugins that need it (eg mythmusic), so you can get
popup messages then and also it will take longer to start the first
time.