[mythtv-users] Multi-Year Installation Major Disk Corruption - Answer Needed Quickly

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 01:39:19 UTC 2015

Manger's Summary:
=================
Mythbuntu 12.04 Installation,
Operating System / OS Disk Massively Corrupted
MythTV Database Corrupted
TV/Recorded files fine.
Do have a SQL Export Backup from the 21st.

What's my best option of getting a mythtv installation back up in the air
on a new OS disk and re-importing the database backup?

Can I install Mythbuntu 14.04 and do it (the export is from 12.04) or
should I reinstall 12.04 and them Release-Upgrade to 14.04?

This is a work in progress (I'm replacing the HD as I type) so any fast
answers would be DEEPLY appreciated.

The Story
==================
So as the title suggests I've got a 5+ year Mythtv installation (been
through quite a few upgrades since initial installation).  As of yesterday
I found the database not booting and stupidly decided an upgrade would fix
that (always has in the past).  To make a long story short the patch
upgrade failed massively so I decided to try a distro upgrade (it was 3 in
the morning, I was sick, give me a break :) ) and that's about when I
figured out my OS disk is very quickly dying.  Hafl the packages downloaded
onto a corrupted part of the disk and couldn't be un-compressed, half my
log files are unreadable, oh yea, and my Mythtv database files are corrupt
(which is what was causing the MySQL installation not to boot in the first
place)...and my last good Database backup is from almost 2 weeks ago, etc.
(Thank God I could find one at least semi-recent backup / export that did
unzip ok).

So just to make sure I'm nice and clear, I'm part way through an upgrade
from Mythbuntu 12.04 -> Mythbuntu 14.04 and I'm not going to get any
farther.

This thing is toast.  To be fair to myself, I wasn't going to be able to
save this install, and the MythTV Database was already destroyed prior to
me even trying to upgrade/patch the box, so I really haven't made anything
much worse than it already was.

I'm sitting here with a new OS disk I'm about to install, I realize I'm
going to have to build this back up from laying down the OS.  My question
is about database recovery.

Since I'm still on 12.04's version of MythTV (.26 I think), can I install
Mythbuntu 14.04 (Mythtv .27? I think), and import the database or are there
major database changes between 26 and 27 that require me to install12.04,
Import the DB to there, then release-upgrade to 14.04?

The more generic question is:  What's the best way to recover a database
backup on some midline version of .26 Mythtv?

I've got (I think) all the uncorrupted actual recordings, I just need to
get the database back installed so that I can read those recordings
again.   I'll have to figure out how to re-import anything I've got files
for but the DB doesn't know about since the 21st, but that's a much less
important problem right now.

HELP?  Advise?

--Doug