[mythtv-users] MythTV on Raspberry PI 2...

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 04:34:22 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:37 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 8:26 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Luckily the Kodi/XBMC guys have taken care of that for you.
>
> I am sure everyone is looking forward to your MythTV trac
> "feature patch" contribution for using the (new) different
> decoding API in a fully integrated FE.

I am not a software developer. I wish I could contribute more, but
alas, that is not my skillset.

> Or do you mean Mark should convert to using Kodi as his
> player (which is not exactly how I interpreted his question).

It is certainly an option. The RPi1 has great video playback, poor GUI
performance. But with a faster main processor, it should be more than
adequate.

Of course those that want the absolute fastest in menus, or h.265, or
4K, will go elsewhere. But there are some people who want a frontend
in every room, and find an RPi an acceptable performer for kodi
(including PVR against a mythbackend) - so now they will get better
experience for the same price.

Not forgetting too that RPi supports CEC out of the box, so no need
for another $30+ on a remote. It is a very viable option for many
people, and will be more so now.

The Kodi myth frontend is not as good as a native mythfrontend - for
one thing is doesn't offer all the recording rules options. But
combined with mythweb it is really very good - although I accept
opinions will vary. Many people will accept these limitations to have
a unified GUI using Kodi for movies, addons, ripped TV and PVR.