[mythtv-users] recovery of files and filenames from ext4 partition

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 01:08:05 UTC 2015

> Unluckily
> you let a dumb automated process run over it, which makes the chances
> slimmer.

Correct. I am really kicking myself over that. It was the stupidest thing to
have happened in the whole process, I should have told it to skip until I
worked out what was actually going on. Unfortunately at that stage I hadn't
realised that the HDD was failing, I had put it down to one of those random
boot glitches that seem to happen when it is a blue moon. Making a dumb
mistake like that hurts more than losing the recordings at this stage.

As a quick update. Photorec seems to have recovered a huge number of files,
but they are all heavily corrupted. One I tested took about 2-3min to load,
but then did seem to play and seek ok (Windows Media Player). I tried to do
a quick run of ProjectX to see what it found on the mpg file but it gave up
after some 8000 errors.

More to follow....