[mythtv-users] DB restore

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 2 19:43:03 UTC 2015

On 02/02/2015 11:41 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 02/02/2015 09:22 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings Mythizens, I woke up this morning to that Green Terra setup
>>> screen, evidently I need to restore my database.
>>>
>> Are you sure?  There should never be a case where you wake up to find your
>> database gone.  Why do you think you need to restore the database?
>
> I use Steppes, and when I woke the box was still on, so I opened Myth FE to
> see what it was recording, and was shocked to find the Terra theme "select
> country and Language screen" as I navigated through screens in a panic I
> saw one offering to update my database as it was 5000 versions outdated,
> hence my assumption. Is there any info I can post or paste to help diagnose
> what is going on here?

This will happen if MythTV can't find your database.  It won't find your
database if there's a problem with your config.xml or, for example, if
you change around host names and/or IP addresses.  You haven't described
your configuration at all (number of hosts, host names, which are
dedicated backends or frontends and which are combined backend/frontend
systems, location of mythconverg database, ...), so there are many
reasons this could occur, but from the logs you posted, I see:

Feb  2 11:23:17 daryl-A780L3C mythbackend: mythbackend[2483]: N thread_unknown mythdirs.cpp:68 (InitializeMythDirs) Using configuration directory = /home/mythtv/.mythtv
Feb  2 11:23:17 daryl-A780L3C mythbackend: mythbackend[2483]: N CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:504 (LoadDatabaseSettings) Empty LocalHostName.
Feb  2 11:23:17 daryl-A780L3C mythbackend: mythbackend[2483]: I CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:512 (LoadDatabaseSettings) Using localhost value of daryl-A780L3C

and then a bunch of messages that show that mythbackend is connecting to
an empty database on the local host.  Is the host name "daryl-A780L3C"
really the one you want to use and the one you have been using for
MythTV?  Are you sure your ~mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml specifies the
proper location and connection information for your MySQL database?

Mike