[mythtv-users] MythTV on Raspberry PI 2...

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 19:29:10 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Timothy Krantz <tkrantz at stahurabrenner.com>
wrote:

> I have been playing with mythfrontend on Arm devices for a while now.  I
> have tried MK802, hackberry and cubietruck.  All of these devices have
> mali400 GPU’s and are limited to 3.4.104-ish kernels (if you want a video
> console that is, the cubietruck can run “modern” kernels but not with a
> graphics console).
>

> There is even a rudimentary VDPAU environment for them.
>

> They all “almost” run mythfrontend.  Well they do run it but not quite
> satisfactorily.  Audio/video sync is problematic and they tend to attempt
> to playback “too fast”, i.e. a framerate faster than the recorded
> framerate.  I suspect it is either a problem with the RTC driver not being
> “precise” enough or the lack of the “vblank” ioctl being implemented.  The
> cubietruck can play back most of my myth content but after a very short
> while tends to “get behind” then attempt to “catch up” which results in the
> wonky playback framerate.
>

> Now, all of that being said, I can’t find anything that implies that any
> of the Raspberry Pi devices has an y VDPAU or VAAPI implementation.
> Without that I **doubt** that the processor is going to be able to do
> acceptable playback, bt I don’t know.
>

> Tim

There was an extra license file you had to purchase to make use of the
H.264 decompression built into the GPU. I purchased it and ran Raspbmc, and
had no problem with my 1080p Blu-Ray rips. The GPU has enough grunt to play
back HD recordings just fine; I just don't know if anybody has implemented
the use of the GPU for Myth recordings, or if we'd need to encode all of
our recordings in H.264 ahead of time.