[mythtv-users] MythTV on Raspberry PI 2...

Timothy Krantz tkrantz at stahurabrenner.com
Mon Feb 2 14:59:16 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 6:25 AM, Raymond Boettcher <raymondboettcher at yahoo.com <mailto:raymondboettcher at yahoo.com> > wrote:

I just wanted to ask if there was any headway on getting video support seamlessly working on the Raspberry Pi.  It seems that they just posted their latest model device that uses:

*	A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
*	1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
*	Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1

I saw the information pop up on facebook but it can be seen at:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

The device will still maintain it's $35 price tag and now the processing power and memory requirements are more than what is needed for a Myth Frontend and maybe even a backend (depending on your configuration).  I know XBMC has plugin's that make XBMC interface with MythTV, but it would be nice to run MythFrontend natively.  This device could be put in a small box and mounted to the back of a Flat-Panel TV hints converting it to a "Smart TV" that is MythTV aware.  And for a very nice price tag at that.

This is an ARM CPU, right? I know that the biggest issue with the other Raspberry and Banana Pi's were their low memory. Now that it appears that that isn't an issue, what's the status of MythTV on ARM?

I have been playing with mythfrontend on Arm devices for a while now.  I have tried MK802, hackberry and cubietruck.  All of these devices have mali400 GPU’s and are limited to 3.4.104-ish kernels (if you want a video console that is, the cubietruck can run “modern” kernels but not with a graphics console).

There is even a rudimentary VDPAU environment for them.

They all “almost” run mythfrontend.  Well they do run it but not quite satisfactorily.  Audio/video sync is problematic and they tend to attempt to playback “too fast”, i.e. a framerate faster than the recorded framerate.  I suspect it is either a problem with the RTC driver not being “precise” enough or the lack of the “vblank” ioctl being implemented.  The cubietruck can play back most of my myth content but after a very short while tends to “get behind” then attempt to “catch up” which results in the wonky playback framerate.

Now, all of that being said, I can’t find anything that implies that any of the Raspberry Pi devices has an y VDPAU or VAAPI implementation.  Without that I *doubt* that the processor is going to be able to do acceptable playback, bt I don’t know.

Tim