[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Thu Dec 31 10:56:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-12-31 at 17:36 +1100, rob e wrote:
> firstly, thanks Lawrence for all your hard work ... it's really coming
> along nicely, I managed to install Myth 27 on the latest Raspbian-Jessie
> (installed via noobs)
>
> On trying the build, I found that the UI worked well and most files
> played. It even played quite well from an X session
>
> I also found that -
> - The only "passthrough" to HDMI that would work was Stereo, and neither
> DTS nor AC3 would pass through.
>    I tried OpenMax and Alsa. OpenMax wouldn't play at all and Alsa would
> play as simple Stereo but not 5.1 and not DTS or AC3
>    OpenMax and Alsa would play test sounds as 5.1 and/or DTS/AC3 ... but
> it was highly distorted and no sound playing content
>     My receiver can process both DTS and AC3 (but not HD variants)
> successfully eg. from Myth on a PC, Chromebox, Nuc, and from Kodi on a Pi
> - FLV files would not play (probably just need some codecs)
> - Building of video lists in Video section is really really slow, not
> sure what's happening there
>
> Is there any useful debug / further information I could supply ?

Thanks for the report.  I don't have a DTS or AC3 capable receiver so
I've been unable to test pass through properly, just to an HDMI monitor
with stereo speakers.

You said 'OpenMax wouldn't play at all' I presume you meant as AC3/DTS
pass through?  If you are having problems with OpenMAX:hdmi audio output
without pass through then I would be interested in seeing a log file.

It would be very useful if you could post a (compressed) log file while
playing a DTS and AC3 recording to the OpenMAX:hdmi audio output with
pass-through enabled.  Would you add "-v playback,audio --loglevel
debug" to the mythfrontend command line.

FLV file playback should be hardware accelerated if it uses VP6 encoding
- older Sorenson encoding should be handled by FFmpeg.  It would be
useful to see a log file of the failing recording.

UI speed in building some menus (like the video lists) is highly
susceptible to network and mysql server performance.  I have a number of
patches queued that provide caching to network/mysql intensive
operations.  These patches significantly reduce startup time and speed
up the playback box and program guide amongst others.

Thanks for your feedback.

-- Lawrence Rust