[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi Newbie Questions

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Wed Dec 30 20:00:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-12-31 at 06:15 +1100, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> On 30/12/15 20:38, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> > On Wed, 2015-12-30 at 19:18 +1100, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> >> http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/dists/jessie/InRelease Unable to
> >> find expected entry 'main/binary-i386/Packages' in Release file (Wrong
> >> sources.list entry or malformed file)
> > This indicates apt-get is looking for i386 (host) packages, which is
> > wrong.  Could it be a temporary problem while the repository is being
> > updated?  Have you tried again with the same result?
> >
> >> I am supposed to be running this on my workstation right?
> > Correct.  You should run mythbuild.sh on a Debian compliant host system
> > which provides apt-get.  The host should have the standard development
> > tools (apt-get install build-essential).
> >
> > The mythbuild.sh script creates an apt.conf file that specifies the
> > armhf architecture.  Using that configuration, apt-get should fetch
> > packages only for armhf.  This looks like apt-get is misbehaving.  Could
> > you tell me the output from:
> >
> > lsb_release -a; uname -i; apt-get --version
>
> [Snugglepot] lsb_release -a; uname -i; apt-get --version
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID:    LinuxMint
> Release:    17
> Codename:    qiana
> x86_64
> apt 1.0.1ubuntu2 for amd64 compiled on Aug  1 2015 19:20:48
> Supported modules:
> *Ver: Standard .deb
> *Pkg:  Debian dpkg interface (Priority 30)
>   Pkg:  Debian APT solver interface (Priority -1000)
>   S.L: 'deb' Standard Debian binary tree
>   S.L: 'deb-src' Standard Debian source tree
>   Idx: Debian Source Index
>   Idx: Debian Package Index
>   Idx: Debian Translation Index
>   Idx: Debian dpkg status file
>   Idx: EDSP scenario file
>

> > A shot in the dark, but if your host is a 64-bit you could try appending
> > this line to mythbuild/apt-rpi/downloader.conf.  You will find this file
> > in the directory that you ran mythbuild.sh from.
> >
> > APT::Architectures "armhf";
> I appended this line, but it was already the first line in the file.

The 2 lines are subtly different - the new one is plural.

According to the apt docs some systems, like x64, can support several
binary types i.e. i386 or x64.  In these cases the the Architures
(plural) entry is used to specify alternatives.  I'm guessing, but I
suspect that without this entry your x64 system was looking for i386
alternatives.

> But in any event, now it seems to be working.  Maybe it was the repository.

Good news.  Maybe just a coincidence, but just in case I'll amend
mythbuild.sh.

Thanks for the feedback.

-- Lawrence Rust