[mythtv-users] Can't change volume from 0

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Dec 29 19:31:17 UTC 2015

Dan Wilga <mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:

> You should not have to disable the tuners. You probably just have to tell Myth to re-scan the sound device list and select what's appropriate (it's in the settings).

DO you know where this is - I can't find it ? Bear in mind I'm still on the rather old 0.24.

> This, of course, assumes ALSA has indeed detected the Intel hardware correctly. Try:
>
> lsmod | grep snd_hda_intel
>
> It should show something like:
>
> snd_hda_intel          30519  0

It does indeed.

But I have fixed it. I'm not using the tuners - I should really have just pulled them out but the box is now buried in the bottom of the stack with DVD player, VCR, and TV sat on top ! I added "options cx23885 index=-2" to modprobe config and I now have working sound :-)

I'm considered a linux "expert" at work - but all I manage are headless systems - these two Myth frontends are the only "desktops" I use. So aspects like sound handling are something of a foreign land !