[mythtv-users] 4K resolution

Tom Bongiorno tbjr at bongohut.com
Tue Dec 29 13:30:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 2:28 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I buy a new TV, Sony KD-55X8509C with 4K resolution.
>
> I have 2 frontends:
>
>    - Dual-Core E5700 @ 3.00GHz + GIGABYTE GV-R545HM-1GI
>    - ZOTAC ION ITX-G Synergy Edition
>
> Could both frontends play 4K videos? Or need I upgrade the graphic card?
>
> This is the software version:
>
> # mythbackend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version : ad97d24
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
> Network Protocol : 77
> Library API : 0.27.20141016-1
> QT Version : 4.8.6
> Options compiled in:
>  linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_jack using_oss
> using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
> using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb
> using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr
> using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto
> using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg
> using_opengl using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
> using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
> using_profiletype using_mythlogserver using_bindings_perl
> using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode
> using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg
> using_libass using_libxml2
>
> Need I upgrade?
>
> Thanks and best regards.
>
> --
> Josu Lazkano

I am not familiar with AMD GPUs, but I believe the Zotac IONITX-G has the
first generation Nvidia ION chipset. Neither first or second generation ION
chipsets are be capable of decoding 4k video. I am fairly confident that
they would not be capable of upscaling SD or HD content in order to drive a
4k display.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

-Tom