[mythtv-users] MythTV BackEnd system HDD to smaller SSD Ubuntu

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Dec 24 14:19:44 UTC 2015

Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, and a good distribution to use to boot from is:
> http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage
>
> It has all tools you might need on board.

How much difference does it make how "different" the boot disk is from the system under maintenance ?
Eg, if one is (say) RedHat based and the other Debian based, with different toolsets and kernels - does that make much difference to installing grub like this ?
As most of my systems are Debian, I've tended to always use a Debian disk so I've generally not had any issue.

On the other hand, I recall helping a colleague running Ubuntu - and (from memory, it was a while ago now) the Ubuntu disk it was installed from didn't have support for the filesystem in use which made life interesting. I think I used a Debian disk to fix it instead.