[mythtv-users] MythTV BackEnd system HDD to smaller SSD Ubuntu

Tom Bishop bishoptf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 01:29:48 UTC 2015

So clonezilla will do it, I do it all the time but you have to understand
the process.  Here are the basic steps:

1 - I would make a clonezilla image to have as a backup, then boot your
backend from USB and make your HDD partitions small enough to fit on your
SSD. I boot with a lubuntu iso and use gparted and shrink the partitions.
Keep in mind if you have lots of data this may take awhile and it could
mess your data up, I've never had any issues but YMMV.

2 - Fire up clonezilla and you can use either device to device option or
you can write it to an image and then write the image to the SSD.  The
trick is when clonezilla comes up and asks you which mode you want to run
in, beginner or expert you want to select EXPERT.  From there you wiill
come to a parameters page and you will keep the defaults but select the one
option -icds, here is what the pages look like -
http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/doc/03_Disk_to_disk_clone/advanced/05-advanced-param.php
(look at the second screenshot).

3 - Then just go through and take the defaults for the rest of it, the
-icds option tells clonezilla to ignore the disk size and assumes you have
adjusted your partitions to fit.  It will ask you a couple of times if you
really want to do this and then copy the data.

Thats about it, good luck! :)