[mythtv-users] PCI-E x16 2.0 slots running at x4

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Dec 23 18:53:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-12-23 at 12:47 -0500, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> While shopping for a new low power SFF backend/frontend appliance
> configuration, I came across some motherboards that have a PCI-E x16
> 2.0 slot running at x4. I need a x1 slot for my Ceton and a x16 slot
> for a Nvidia GT610. The GPU is part of the purchase, and can be
> changed.
>

> I think that the GT610 should be able to do 4k video. Will limiting it
> to x4 cause bandwidth or decoding issues?
>

> -Tom

I doubt the PCI-e lane count/version will have much effect on decoding
compressed video directly to screen buffer (VDPAU).
More of a problem is the video card model & what you mean by 4K..
IIRC
GTX650 was the first to have 4K outputs & 4K H264 decode but are not
HDMI2.0 & no HEVC decode.
The GTX750 has partial h/w HEVC decode no HDMI2.0
AFAIK only GTX950/960 have HEVC 4K decode & HDMI2.0 to output 4K60p4:4:4
but these are bottom end gaming cards.

So there is no suitable latest generation HTPC card (from nVidia) that
could be fanless (or modified) or half height.
Someone like Zotac could make a half height with a mobile 940M but that
would not have HDMI2.0.

Might be time to consider Intel, their CPUs are the best & the iGPU can
be good enough but mythtv's VAAPI support does not have parity with
VDPAU.