[mythtv-users] FE cannot connect to database

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 00:54:24 UTC 2015

On 20 December 2015 at 00:41, Mike Carron <jmcarron at starstream.net> wrote:
> By way of background, my MBE (headless) and three FEs are all running
> Mythbuntu 14.04.3/0.27.5 and all have been running very satisfactorily until
> today when I updated all units. The 3 FEs updated smoothly but the MBE ended
> reporting that my system had a file that had been modified and was different
> from the newly downloaded version. It offered me the option to retain my
> original or change to the new and indicated the default was to retain my
> original. I elected the default but the process was not able to complete
> saying it was going to use 127.0.1.1 in place of something that I don't
> remember. I'm not able to find any log of the activity so I can't say what
> exactly happened.
>
> After the update, all FE attempts to connect to the database fail. Looking
> at the log I see that the FE makes one attempt to connect with the correct
> IP address for the MBE and promptly falls back to using 127.0.0.1, which
> also fails. MythWeb works just fine so the MBE is clearly talking with the
> database.
>
> Is there somewhere I can find out how to get this fixed?

Did the upgrade reset your MySQL config to only bind to localhost?

Check with:

$ grep bind-address /etc/mysql/my.cnf

(adjust path to my.cnf as necessary).

For remote frontends to connect, the bind-address needs to be the
routable IP address of the backend on your network (e.g. 192.0.0.1),
not 127.0.0.1.

Cheers,
Nick