[mythtv-users] Comcast grounding and channel lineup questions

David Williams mythtv_david at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 19 23:09:20 UTC 2015

Thanks to all for your responses.This is very helpful information.

    On Friday, December 18, 2015 7:14 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

 On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 4:04 PM, David Williams <mythtv_david at yahoo.com> wrote:
> ...While there he disconnected the ground lead which I had running from both the Comcast splitter and the OTA lead to a copper water pipe. Regrettably, he wasn't very forthcoming with information. So my question is this: Would I be well-served to reconnect the ground lead since the new splitter does have a connection for a ground lead?

Grounds are good things.  You can never have too much grounding,
but you have to understand how to do it properly (to avoid ground
loops, or the allusion of grounds (I have seen connections to copper
pipe that if you track it back one would find a plastic pipe in the line),
or even worse (if you trust a ground to a copper pipe, it might
send voltage to the handle you are holding in the bathtub....)).

Comcast a few years ago issued new rules for their techs to follow
regarding grounding.  To first approximation they are in concurrence
with the current NFPA-70 and SCTE standards, but specifically remove
most uses of ground rods and copper water pipe (because without
appropriate validation (which the techs cannot do), neither may
be properly "grounded").

For example, one of the things many people do not realize that
even in NFPA-70 a copper water pipe connection is required to
be within 1.5M of the entrance point to even be considered a possible
valid ground.

I would refer you to the appropriate standards for the right way to
ground your equipment, and check your local ordinances for
the variations your locality has applied.

I will also point out that in most jurisdictions, Comcast is required
to properly ground their cable at the demark (which can be
outside your actual residence, details depending)..  They have
gotten in a bit of hot water because they have failed to do it properly
in some locations.  If you live in one of those jurisdictions, and
there is no ground, you can (and should) request them to do
what they are supposed to do.