[mythtv-users] Random system freezes -- clueless

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 00:31:02 UTC 2015

My Myth system has a bad habit of freezing, except when I'm doing something
on it.  It will automatically wake up to record something and shutdown once
it is finished and everything works.  But sometimes... The system just
stops in its tracks, like it hit a halt instruction.  There are no errors
reported in any of the log files in /var/log, /var/log/lightdm,
/var/log/upstart, /var/log/mysql, or /var/log/mythtv.  They just stop dead
in their tracks and I have to hit the reset button or cycle the power to
get it going again.  Not even installing the watchdog package and
configuring it rescues the system.  I get lots of watchdog check messages
in the logs right up until the system freezes in its tracks at some random
time hours or days after the last incident.  I've run memtest for hours
with no problems reported -- like overnight plus half the next day.  I've
run disk diagnostics and swapped disks (within limits).  I've tried most
things I found on my copy of the Ultimate Boot CD.  All to say I've found
no smoking gun.  So, like I said, I'm clueless.  I've ordered a different
motherboard, but I'm only shooting in the dark with that.

Anyone have something better than a wild guess about what's going on?

--
Craig.