[mythtv-users] MythTV leaving tuners idle

Mike Carron jmcarron at starstream.net
Mon Dec 14 21:36:55 UTC 2015

On 12/14/2015 12:18 PM, David Hampton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having an issue with MythTV leaving tuners idle when it could
> schedule a program.  My system has a dual HDHomeRun Prime box
> (HDHR3-6CC-3X2) so it has six identical tuners available.  The problem
> occurs at 10pm tonight when one recordings is finishing and two others
> are starting.  I have all my recordings padded two minutes on each side,
> so there's an overlap from 9:58 to 10:02 when three recordings should be
> running.  Based on a couple of year old email, I tried deleting and
> recreating all my tuners to see if that would help.  It didn't.  This is
> running mythbuntu fixes/0.27 [v0.27.5-68-g0d4b4f4] on the backend
> server.
>
> I've posted the output from "mythbackend -v schedule --testsched" to
> http://www.dhampton.net/testsched.txt .  Here is an extract of the
> entries of interest (and compressed to fit on one line each):
>
> Supergirl - Hostile Takeover       513 WJZDT  14 19:58-21:02 111A10
> Childhood's End - Night One: The O 680 SYFYHD 14 19:58-22:02 132A30
> NCIS: Los Angeles - Cancel Christm 513 WJZDT  14 21:57-23:02 111A10
> The Expanse - Dulcinea             180 SYFY   14 21:58-23:05 100AL0
> The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fa  11 WBAL   14 23:32-00:39 111A10
> The Expanse - Dulcinea             680 SYFYHD 15 01:01-02:06 100AL0
>
> I see the schedule assigning tuners 1 then 3 then 1 again, and then
> postponing the next show when it could have been assigned to tuner 5.
> Any suggestions for how to fix this?  I know I can force activate the
> episode (which works) but if I hadn't noticed this scheduler mixup I
> wouldn't have recorded this series premiere until Friday.  Its
> interesting that it doesn't try and record the first rerun three hours
> later, but waits until a Friday rerun to schedule it.
>
> If anyone wants more information, please let me know.
>
> David

***
I'm using a similar arrangement, Mythbuntu 14.04 (0.27.5) with two HDHR
Primes. I have the tunners assigned according to this chart:

HDHR Tuner Assignments

Tuner 	Encoder 	Sched Priority 	Live Priority
131F6472-0 	1 	1 	6
131F6472-1 	3 	3 	4
131F6472-2 	5 	5 	2
131F9021-0 	7 	2 	5
131F9021-1 	9 	4 	3
131F9021-2 	11 	6 	1

I also specified one recorder per tuner in the backend setup.

It has worked fine and I haven't missed a recording even with 6
recordings running at the same time.

mike