[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi Newbie Questions

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Mon Dec 14 20:30:45 UTC 2015

> On 15 Dec 2015, at 6:54 AM, Lawrence Rust <lvr at softsystem.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2015-12-14 at 18:38 +0000, Jim C wrote:
>> Based on all the discussion regarding the Raspberry Pi as a MythTV
>> frontend I've decided to get one to try. Being totally new to the topic
>> I have some real beginner-level questions - even after visiting the RPi
>> page and the MythTV wiki.
>
> Glad to hear that you're about to take the plunge.
>
>> Which OS is "better" for this purpose? I've noticed discussion of
>> OpenElec, Ubuntu Mate, Snappy Ubuntu, and Raspbian. Others?
>
> For an easy route to a DVR frontend then OpenElec.  However, if you want
> to experiment then Ubuntu Mate or Raspbian.  The RPi images that I
> posted recently were built for and tested on Raspbian.  Ubuntu Mate has
> a more refined UI but is generally more resource hungry and hence
> slower.

Does anyone have any straight forward instructions for installing the pre-build packages? My new Pi came with a NOOBS card, so it boots straight to an X desktop. Is installing MythTV is simple as (1) unpack the pre-built binaries to /home/pi, and (2) run the fronted? (Lawrence,  noticed somewhere in one of these threads that you run the frontend over an SSH connection first to set it up, then locally.) Is anything special required to set the output to 1080p and enable audio over HDMI?

Chers,

Jon