[mythtv-users] MythBackend Logging

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 14 18:23:36 UTC 2015

On 12/14/2015 01:09 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 5:56 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
>> On 12/14/2015 11:28 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>>> Is there anyway to disable mythbackend's creating log files by date. I'd
>>> like to go back to the CentOS/Redhad/Fedora method of having the app
>>> log to a single file and then let the logrotate daemon handle rotating the
>>> files.
>>
>> Sounds like you/your distribution chose to use the  --logpath
>> /some/path/name
>> switch when starting the backend. Use --syslog local7 (for example.)
>>
>> See the MythTV Logging Wiki or mythbackend --help syslog for more detail.
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logging
> There are some that would suggest that you should move
> to systemd journald logging of the console output and
> eliminate file logging entirely.  As with much else, journald
> has its advantages and disadvantages.

Though note that for MythTV, the output template used for console
logging is more brief and lacks information that is put into log output
for file/syslog logging, where fitting output in a window that wraps
text isn't a concern.  So if you use MythTV's console output, you'll be
missing some info.

Mike