[mythtv-users] Watch Recordings doesn't list size of single recording

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Sat Dec 12 20:20:47 UTC 2015

Hi!

Welcome aboard by the way Roger!

(I am one of the MythTV developers responsible for translations...)

On 12/12/2015 12:55 PM, Roger Siddons wrote:
> On 12/12/15 13:50, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>
>> It however seems
>> to want to add the full word "minutes" in stead of just "min" or "m"
>> as I get "40 min...". Can I change this with a template? I don't see
>> anything pointing this way on that wikipage.
>>

> No, which irritates me too as that should be a theme decision.
>
> It always appends "minutes" or "hours" & "minutes" in the case of lentime.
>
> But maybe it's done like that to handle translations.

I didn't pay attention to the whole thread so maybe I am missing
something so take what I will say with a grain of salt...

Our translators translate a number of theme (which can change from one
release to another).

To translate those themes we run a program that extracts the content of
certain fields and make them available for translation to the translators.

Some of these fields are templating fields which I believe are used in
themes to format things such as times, etc... so it's not necessary from
a translation standpoint to make their format static.

That said, it would be nice if there was a little more consistency from
one theme to the next because we end up translating the same thing
multiple times for things which did not need to be different. A single
character different, even whitespace, means a new string to translate
for the translators and we have thousands of them to go through.

(And we are not even translating all themes, imagine if we did...)

Depending on the theme it comes from we might have to translate things
such as

"Channel:"
"Channel :"
"Chan.:"
"Chan. :"

etc...

which are used in the same context in the same (maybe in a different
view) or different themes...

(IIRC in English you are supposed to put a space before a ":" but not a
full one and they are frequently removed in print materials nowadays...)

I think that you get the point..

We are not getting the context in which they are used so we try to do
our best to figure out what they are used for and find a suitable
replacement which fits in the space allotted by the themer (which is
frequently a challenge).

Since our translators are not themers figuring out those templating
strings I talked about earlier are is also a challenge... Usually what
translators do is try to figure out which part should be translated and
try not to touch the rest...

I would have to check to make sure but I doubt the translation aspect of
things is what is putting the restrictions you guys mentioned and if the
problem is lack of formats in the frontend, we can add some more...

Have a nice day!

Nicolas
MythTV translation maintainer and developer