[mythtv-users] interface an Anrdoid STB with MythTV system?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Fri Dec 11 05:54:51 UTC 2015

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, James Miller wrote:

> I should be able to just hook the device directly to my monitor (I'm not
> using a TV, having instead a large LCD monitor connected to my Myth box)
> using my trusty HDMI to DVI adapter for some initial experimentation.

My plan has been foiled at the outset. I was concerned it might not be
quite that simple. I've hooked up various devices to this monitor through
the DVI-to-HDMI adapter I use with it and never had a problem getting a
display. But hooking the Goobang Doo to it, only a "loss of signal" notice
appears on the screen. I've confirmed that the device works ok by hooking
it to an LCD TV I can access in the building where I live: I can't see any
issues after powering it on and shuffling through various menus using that
as the display. But when I take it back to the apt. and hook it to the
monitor via the adapter, I get only the "loss of signal" message. I did
try different HDMI cables, by the way.

So I'm trying to determine where the problem lies. I suspect the device is
set to output video at certain refresh rates and resolutions that are
common to LCD TV's but which my monitor doesn't like (this is a 720p
monitor, Sharp LC-37HV4U, 1366x768 resolution). I understand from the
Wikipedia entry on HDMI that it's designed to be backward compatible with
DVI--which my experiences to date with this monitor seem to substantiate.
So I'm inclined to the supposition that the problem lies with the device
not putting out the sort of signal the monitor expects.

Not a very on-topic posting for this forum. But I wanted to check here to
see whether any of the cognoscenti might have some helpful input on this
matter.