[mythtv-users] the end of analog, finally

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Thu Dec 10 00:25:22 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:

> Now I know why Shaw Cablesystems wouldn't adjust their "Cable" lineup to
> exclude channels that weren't analog anymore: they're finally pulling the
> analog plug completely. So, I need to crack open my DCT-700 STB and feed it
> into one of the two tuners on my PVR-500 MCE kit.
>

> This is how I hope it goes:
>

> - Connect the DCT-700 to my cable line and a monitor I have that has
> composite input, so I can initialize it.
>

> - Connect DCT-700 composite out to the composite in on the PVR-500 and
> that will be Tuner1:Composite (dev/video0) connected to the "CableDigital"
> source I use for my HD box already. It will become secondary to the HD box.
> No need to delete and recreate anything.
>

> - Delete the old Tuner1/2 definitions and "Cable" source
>

> - Plug the MCE kit's IR extender into the IR receiver and stick the
> emitter on the DCT-700 and follow
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Motorola_DCT700_Channel_Change_Script
> to get channel-changing.
>

> ? Does everyone use the script from that page or is there a better one?
>

> - Delete my SchedulesDirect "Cable" lineup.
>

> - Profit!
>

> Anything I'm missing here? Anyone using a DCT-700 with a PVR-500? Gotchas?

I'm using a box which uses the same codes as the DCT700 with a PVR-500 on
Comcast in California. I think your plan is generally good, except I use
the generic "LircChannelChanger" script from the MythTV Wiki here:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/LircChannelChanger  I use it with the following
configuration file:
#
# Configuration file for the LircChannelChanger script
#
# Except for the configfile option, all other options
# specified on the command line can be specified in
# this file.  Comments ('#') are stripped, and options
# that are not prefixed with '--' have the '--' added.
#
# The main reason for supporting a configfile is
# that the command line for the LircChannelChanger script
# could exceed the 128 character (database) size limits
# if many options were specified (and fully typed out).
# In particular, the before or after commands with long
# remote strings.
#
remote          DCT700      # lirc remote name
tdelay          0.5         # Delay after setting transmitter
delay           0.5         # .5 seconds is long enough for reliable tuning
rdelay          0.5         # Add in .5 seconds for debounce compensation
                            # compensation (not clear if needed)
channeldigits   3           # Tunes faster with 3 digits (no timeout reqd)
digitprefix     KEY_        # lirc file has keys prefixed with KEY_
                            # so sending 0 requires the name KEY_0
beforekeys      KEY_EXIT    # Return from extended info screen, if on it

These timings work well for me. You may need to play with (or eliminate)
the beforekeys because your box software may be different than mine. I call
it (the "external channel changer command") with this line:
/usr/share/lirc/remotes/LircChannelChanger.pl
--configfilename=/etc/lirc/LircChannelChanger-DCT700 --transmitter=1

I also have a DTA so I have to set the transmitter. You *may* be able to
skip this if you have only one transmitter.

Good luck!

Karl