[mythtv-users] Frontend for Apple TV 4

Andrew Codrington andrew.codrington at fidenti.ca
Tue Dec 8 16:55:55 UTC 2015

I've just ordered an AppleTV 4 and I'm looking forward to trying out Bart's
app.
In the meantime I'll add on to Pete's feedback below.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Pete Ashdown <pashdown at xmission.com> wrote:

> Would you like feedback [on your mythtv frontend app for AppleTV 4] ?
>>

> Feedback is welcome.
>
> Thanks for your work.  With ATV4, I'm able to combine my Plex/Kodi library
> along with streaming services, and now MythTV front-end.  I was hoping
> MythTV would come and I was surprised that someone tackled it so soon.

+1.

> I bought your app last night after reading this discussion, and it is a
> great start. Here's my feedback:
>
> 1. The menu for "Play"/"Delete" after selecting a show is clunky.  I think
> it just go straight into playing the show because that is what I want 99%
> of the time.  If I hit the menu button, then I should be given some
> options, including delete.
>
> 2. Having MythTV groupings show up as a top hierarchy would be nice.  I
> record almost all the local news, but I have it in a "News" group, away
> from the "Default".  Having it all combined makes it more difficult to find
> something.

This makes sense. I use groups so expect I'd be a +1 on this when I get
running.

3. Alphabetical sorting of the show list in addition to "Most Recent".

> 4. I prefer Apple's navigation interface over the swiping up and down in
> an effort to emulate MythTV's.  I believe it is possible to distinguish
> clicks on the left and right side of the remote for skipping forward and
> back.  It would be nice to have the standard navigation as a option to the
> MythTV navigation.  Swiping down should bring down the upper menu with
> audio and close-captioning options, like it does elsewhere.
>
> 5. Commercial skipping. :)

+1. I love skipping commercials.

6. Bookmarking

I have a couple of frontends around the house now and enjoy being able to
start a show on one, save a bookmark, and then pick it up again later from
the bookmark using the same frontend or a different frontend.

I'm on mythtv .28 so I can contribute to testing with that version. Sounds
like that may matter for the Service API support.