[mythtv-users] Frontend for Apple TV 4

Eric Pheatt eric.pheatt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 21:20:47 UTC 2015

Hi Bart,

The app looks great, and was the tipping point for me to buy the 4th gen.

On Dec 3, 2015 2:21 PM, "Bart Whiteley" <bart.lists at whiteley.org> wrote:

> Hi Pete. Thanks for the note. Comments below.
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Pete Ashdown <pashdown at xmission.com>
wrote:

>> Thanks for your work.  With ATV4, I'm able to combine my Plex/Kodi
library along with streaming services, and now MythTV front-end.  I was
hoping MythTV would come and I was surprised that someone tackled it so
soon.  I bought your app last night after reading this discussion, and it
is a great start. Here's my feedback:

>> 1. The menu for "Play"/"Delete" after selecting a show is clunky.  I
think it just go straight into playing the show because that is what I want
99% of the time.  If I hit the menu button, then I should be given some
options, including delete.

> If you click the Play/Pause button instead of Select, it will begin
playback immediately. According to Apple, the Menu button should "Return to
previous screen." [1]

Do you have any plans for the long click event from the listing? I can't
let my 4 year old use the siri remote for his shows since he has
accidentally deleted recordings with the normal click. He has not figured
out the long click yet though and it seems like a good way to bring up
other recoding specific actions like delete, re-record, etc..

>> 2. Having MythTV groupings show up as a top hierarchy would be nice.  I
record almost all the local news, but I have it in a "News" group, away
from the "Default".  Having it all combined makes it more difficult to find
something.

> That's a good suggestion.
>

>> 3. Alphabetical sorting of the show list in addition to "Most Recent".
>

> I have an update waiting for review that includes alphabetical sorting of
recordings if enabled in Settings.

>> 4. I prefer Apple's navigation interface over the swiping up and down in
an effort to emulate MythTV's.  I believe it is possible to distinguish
clicks on the left and right side of the remote for skipping forward and
back.  It would be nice to have the standard navigation as a option to the
MythTV navigation.  Swiping down should bring down the upper menu with
audio and close-captioning options, like it does elsewhere.

> I actually implemented that but disabled it for the time being. It's
tricky because when you press to click the trackpad, your thumb smashes
into the trackpad which creates a larger area of contact and moves the
touch point closer to the center. It will take a bit of finesse to adjust
it to feel right.

https://developer.apple.com/tvos/human-interface-guidelines/remote-and-interaction/