[mythtv-users] OT: 4K TV. But why (yet)?

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Dec 3 19:05:43 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-03 12:53 PM, John Marshall wrote:

> Thanks, I had forgotten/missed those but it's probably a given they all do.  Vizio has the added problem that firmware updates are not manual - the TV has to be connected to the internet and will at some point download the update.  I don't know about LG but I think Samsung supports USB updates, so at least the TV could be forever isolated, but I still don't like it.  An off-brand dumb monitor shipped from Korea is sounding more appealing

I'm not a fan either.

There's always putting the TV on a static IP and then blocking all its traffic to the internet until you need an update.

even that's way over the head of most of my relatives (and people I know) -- which I understand is part of what MFRs are thinking when they do this.
Most people can't turn it off even if they wanted to -- unless they're tech savvy.

  -Ben