[mythtv-users] OT: 4K TV. But why (yet)?

John Marshall mythtv at marshallparty.org
Thu Dec 3 18:19:42 UTC 2015

On 12/3/2015 12:04 PM, Jim Oltman wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:
> It's also getting hard to find a 1080p set.  I purchased a Sony
> KDL65W850C 1080p Android TV.  I will not buy another Samsung due to
> reasons.  The TV has severe backlight vertical banding issues.  The
> LCD screen really suffers from "Dirty Screen Effect" (DSE).  Yet, this
> is the _best_ 1080p set that Sony offers this year.  I saved money by
> purchasing 1080p over 4K, but lost quality.  Ridiculous.

1080p is becoming like dumb TVs - hard to find and generally lower
quality than the 4k/smart variants.

My interest in 4k is because I have a combination desktop/Myth TV setup
in the den.  I want something 40-50" so it works as a TV from a
distance, but obviously needs higher resolution for desktop usage up
close.  Fortunately there are a few 40"+ monitors on the market now,
which look tempting as they don't have smart features I won't use nor
the "spy on your habits" "feature" like Vizio's.