[mythtv-users] Bind a channel to a particular input?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 3 16:51:10 UTC 2015

On 12/03/2015 10:56 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 03/12/15 15:28, Wes Hardaker wrote:
>>
>> I have a single SD set of channels feeding data to two different
>> HDHomerun tuners (dual tuners actually).  I now have one of these HDHRs
>> connected to an antenna in the attic, and the other to an antenna on the
>> roof.  I had expected the one I put on the roof to receive more channels
>> and to switch them both, but it turns out the one in the attic gets a
>> few channels that the one on the roof doesn't.
>>
>> So, I have this case where I get something like the following:
>>
>>    | channel | attic | roof |
>>    |---------+-------+------|
>>    |       3 | yes   | yes  |
>>    |       6 | no    | yes  |
>>    |      10 | yes   | no   |
>>
>> Erg.  So, I'm wondering: is there anyway to bind channel 6 so it only
>> records on the roof, for example.  I did scanning via mythtv-input for
>> both tuners, but it still wants to record on an antenna that can't
>> receive the channel.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I can do it by creating 2 schedules direct data sets,
>> but that's sort of a pain.  I suspect there is a database table I can go
>> tweak to remove some of the scanning results, but I'm not sure which.
>>
>> Thoguhts?
>>
> This is where you set up two sources,

as in MythTV Video Sources, which is a list of all channels and their
tuning information for given input

> each one of which is configured to receive the channels available from
> a single antenna.
>
> I believe you can still use the same schedules direct subscription

Yes.

> for this and use the channel editor to "hide" the channels you can't
> get on each source, but someone with better knowledge can clarify that.

Actually, you just set up both MythTV Video Sources to use the same
Schedules Direct lineup, but you should not have any channel in the
Video Source that cannot be tuned by the input--if it gets in there, use
the Channel Editor to delete it (highlight the channel and hit D).

With digital OTA channels, mythfilldatabase won't add channels from the
listings source (SD lineup) to MythTV, however, if you have any analog
sources or OCUR sources or ..., you will need to add the
--remove-new-channels argument to mythfilldatabase every time you (or
mythbackend) run it. To tell mythbackend to use the argument, specify:

Guide data arguments
Any arguments you want passed to the guide data program.

in mythtv-setup under General settings (last screen, IIRC).  And, FWIW,
it doesn't hurt to just specify this argument, anyway--I prefer to test
and approve any changes to my system before they just get added and mess
up my recordings while I'm gone or something.

Mike