[mythtv-users] Problems after upgrading frontend from Mythbuntu 12.04 to 14.04

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 07:26:43 UTC 2015

On 03/12/15 06:56, Phill Edwards wrote:
>     Hi Stephen, thanks for this info. When I ran  "sudo ir-keytable
>     --test --device=/dev/input/event4 | tee key_presses.log" I found
>     that all the buttons on the Harmony 600 remote were working. The
>     only slight mismatch was that the Menu button on the remote was
>     logged as KEY_DVD but that doesn't matter (I don't think).
>
>     So I presume that means things are looking good for me and I can use
>     the existing /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce without having to make any
>     changes. But what do I do now to get it all working? What file needs
>     to go where? What daemons need to be turned on or off? How do I stop
>     lirc from trying to do it "the old way"? I presume I need to do
>     something with /etc/rc_maps.cfg but I don't know what. Am I supposed
>     to run "sudo ir-keytable -s rc1 -a /etc/rc_maps.cfg"? When I tried
>     this I got an error:
>
>     $ sudo ir-keytable -s rc1 -a /etc/rc_maps.cfg
>     Protocol RC6_MCE invalid
>     Invalid parameter on line 1 of /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce
>     Can't load rc6_mce table from /etc/rc_keymaps or /lib/udev/rc_keymaps
>
>     Sorry for all the questions, but I don't understand the end to end
>     process of getting this to work, and what I found online wasn't very
>     helpful.
>

> I _think_ I've made some progress:
>
> 1) I can see button presses when I run irw,
> 2) I can see button presses when I run sudo ir-keytable -t -s rc0, but
> only if I'm not running lirc daemon. Is that expected?
> 3) I can't see any button presses when I run ircat mythtv.
> 4) When I start mythfrontend I get no response to button presses on the
> remote.
>
> So it looks like I may have some basic building blocks in place, but I
> haven't glued them together properly yet. Can anyone please advise what
> I need to do to get this working from here? One thing I'm very confused
> about is why I need to run lirc if we're using devinput. Would this be
> easier to get working if I removed lirc, or at least didn't run the
> daemon on startup?

Sorry, but it depends... :) The confusing part is that there is three
different ways to do it which all works, but cannot be mixed up.

The first way is to disable LIRC completely. mythtv will then get it's
input from some /dev/input/event*, as configured by ir-keytable. It
should work, but the lirc extra functionality such as multiple programs
(i. e., irexec) reading the input and IR blasting are not available.

The second way is to use lirc with the devinput driver. lirc will then
read the /dev/input/event/* events and make them available on
/var/run/lirc/lircd where mythtv and others reads them.  Using the
devinput driver, lirc will be able to deliver the button presses to
multiple programs but not to do IR blasting. In this setup you use the
devinput lircd.conf file, and /dev/lirc0 is not involved in any way.

The third is to use lirc with the default driver. This will make the
complete LIRC feature set available. You will need a mceusb lircd.conf
file, to use the /dev/lirc0 device also to configure the kernel event
processing using 'sudo sh -c "echo lirc > /sys/class/rc//rc0/protocols"'

So, you need to make up your mind which way to use...

Cheers!

--alec