[mythtv-users] Problems after upgrading frontend from Mythbuntu 12.04 to 14.04

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 03:42:48 UTC 2015

> You seem to be in luck.  With that ir-keytable output, you seem to
> only have one IR receiver device, so the default udev rules will work
> and you can just use /dev/lirc0.  Just keep in mind that if you
> install a new tuner (or anything else) that has an IR receiver, you
> may need then to look at creating custom udev rules for the IR
> devices.
>
> For now, move on to using ir-keytatble -t to test all the keys on your
> remote and see which ones are configured and which ones are not.  It
> says it is using the /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce file as it is seeing
> your remote as an RC6 protocol MCE device.  So if there are any keys
> that are not working, you will need to copy the
> /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce file to /etc/rc_keymaps and change the
> /etc/rc_maps.cfg file to point to the new one in /etc/rc_keymaps.  See
> my config for that.  Then edit the /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce file to
> change or add the lines needed for the keys that do not work.  You
> could also try using my custom rc6_mce file - you may find it has a
> better (or worse) match to your remote's keys.

Hi Stephen, thanks for this info. When I ran  "sudo ir-keytable --test
--device=/dev/input/event4 | tee key_presses.log" I found that all the
buttons on the Harmony 600 remote were working. The only slight mismatch
was that the Menu button on the remote was logged as KEY_DVD but that
doesn't matter (I don't think).

So I presume that means things are looking good for me and I can use the
existing /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce without having to make any changes.
But what do I do now to get it all working? What file needs to go where?
What daemons need to be turned on or off? How do I stop lirc from trying to
do it "the old way"? I presume I need to do something with /etc/rc_maps.cfg
but I don't know what. Am I supposed to run "sudo ir-keytable -s rc1 -a
/etc/rc_maps.cfg"? When I tried this I got an error:

$ sudo ir-keytable -s rc1 -a /etc/rc_maps.cfg
Protocol RC6_MCE invalid
Invalid parameter on line 1 of /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce
Can't load rc6_mce table from /etc/rc_keymaps or /lib/udev/rc_keymaps

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't understand the end to end process
of getting this to work, and what I found online wasn't very helpful.