[mythtv-users] adding 2nd display changes mythfrontend playback

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Dec 3 01:14:21 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, December 02, 2015 08:21:01 AM Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/01/2015 08:06 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> >
> > So I plugged the 2265 into the HDMI port and ran nvidia-settings to
> > activate it and have it be a clone of the F2380. That worked instantly.
> >
> > However, now MythFrontend shows SD and HD content stretched
> > horizontally and letterboxed. HD doesn't fill the screen anymore on
> > either monitor. If I disable the 2265 then I get normal display back.
>
> If you have multiple monitors on a MythTV system (even if you don't use
> both--for example, some laptops enable both the built-in monitor and the
> external display output, even when the external display isn't
> connected), you MUST specify the appropriate monitor information in
> MythTV Appearance settings:
>
> Display on screen
> Run on the specified screen or spanning all screens.
>
> Monitor aspect ratio
> - 16:9 - 16:10
> - 4:3
> The aspect ratio of a Xinerama display cannot be queried from the
> display, so it must be specified.

That was it! Thanks very much. I set it to 16:9. It was originally 4:3 which I assume is the default because I've never paid attention to that screen.

StuartA: I only use my Myth box for TV and Music and it sits on MythFrontend 99% of the time unless I need to futz with something (and those somethings are getting pretty rare now) so I just wanted to dupe my main display on another screen near my kitchen.

Now, will the dual-head setup persist across reboots? All I did was tell nvidia-settings that the 2nd monitor was in the same position as the first and [Apply]. Do I have to do some xorg.conf stuff to make this permanent?

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca