[mythtv-users] Replacing Comcast DTAs

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Dec 2 19:17:16 UTC 2015

On 12/1/2015 1:04 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 7:59 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ....  so I was wondering if there's
>> another sea change afoot that I'm not up to speed on.
> There will be another sea change, but not (really) soon
> for most.  IP only delivery of content is the future as
> seen by the providers, and the converged platforms
> they are now buying allow them the flexibility to migrate
> as slow or fast as they need to from mixed linear QAM
> with Docsis delivery, to pure Docsis 3.1 delivery.  But
> except for the most deep pocketed providers, or those
> trying to reduce their market erosion from their (usually)
> GPON based competitors, the transition for many has
> been estimated to be over a fair number of years due
> to the CPE replacement costs.  As to the replacement
> for the CableCARD in that IP delivery world, that is still
> up in the air.  The FCC is in process of determining
> rules/regulations that will apply for access to the content.
> As has happened before, there is a difference of opinion
> from the cable companies and the consumer electronics
> manufactures as to the approach to be taken (both want
> to "own" the consumer experience/loyalty/subscription).

Speaking of replacing DTAs - is anyone familiar with:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-GX-SM530CF-Streaming-Player-Built-In/dp/B00EYO241Q

It supports cable cards and says it supports "most" cable companies.
Haven't done any research on it. Any way to control it from Myth? I
don't think there is a 1394 port for control.