[mythtv-users] (no subject)

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Tue Dec 1 02:01:40 UTC 2015

> On 30 Nov 2015, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> [for the ignorant like me 11n is 300M bits/sec]
>
> No it isn't.
> Like any wireless system, it's speed is "up to ..." and of course the marketing types will quote the maximum theoretical figures even if the only people in the world who can achieve that are engineers in a screened lab with perfect conditions and no interference from the neighbours.
>
> I recall reading of some research a few years ago that showed that in some places (eg blocks of flats and so on with dense coverage of WiFi routers), the actual throughput of WiFi on the 2.4G band was "naff all" as 95% of the theoretical bandwidth available was taken up by signalling - with the remaining 5% being shared between all the users.
>
> As already said, if you can, try the 5.8G band - not only is it less busy (still lots of 2.4G only kit around), there are more channels, and the signals travel shorter distances through buildings so less interference from neighbours.
>

> Better WiFi kit is now starting to employ "band steering" that will force client devices onto the 5.8G band where both ends support it and the signal is adequate for just these reasons.
>

> I'd suggest downloading iStumbler and exploring how much WiFi you have around you. If there's a lot then you can expect poor WiFi throughput.
>

> I *always* recommend cabled connections where practical. Short of faulty components/equipment, I've yet to see a situation where a cabled connection isn't superior in performance and reliability to wireless - but obviously it lacks the mobility element.
> At work we have a client who has just built an extension for a new office - we weren't consulted in any way or we'd have advised them accordingly. They put cabling in for phones and power - but said "we'll use WiFi". Last I heard their IT guy was pulling some cables in and clipping them along the new walls :-/

Simon thanks. Spoiled Aussies my nearest and only neighbour router is 50m away.
I too stick to wires, BUT macbook has *only* a USBC socket and you can but I’ve not put a suitable hub on it. I tried a 5th Gen i3 NUC (using the onboad wireless) and it was perfect.

I put an old eeepc and the macbook side by side and downloaded (scp) 200M. Rate on eee 4.5 MByte / sec while on the macbook 450 kByte / sec. (4.5 MByte is close to 53 MBit hmmm) So I guess a trip to apple shop is warranted.

Thanks all. With 20/20 hindsight that was so easy to do that I ought to have done it and spared the list the noise. Well a line in the sand: with a good wifi connection and 802.11g you can get flawless mythtv.

James