[mythtv-users] distributed simultaneous playback

Jack McGee jack at greendesk.net
Fri Aug 28 18:40:32 UTC 2015

On 08/28/2015 11:31 AM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> What options would I have to display MythFrontend playback simultaneously on monitors in my living room and kitchen, about 40 feet apart? I can use wired gigabit and only do SD so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue. I only need a screen in the kitchen, I can get enough sound from the living room and the remote has a clear line of sight.
>
> VNC? Long HDMI cable?
>
> Taking this a step further, to provide full sound and remote in the kitchen, is there any way to set up MythFrontend to do this?

Several years ago, I did this old-school.

1) Video is via HDMI splitter, long HDMI cables.
2) Audio goes to stereo next to TV, out to ceiling speakers in some
rooms, nicer speakers in others, all on impedance matching volume
controls, no fancy stereo needed.
3) IR receivers are mounted in trim ring of ceiling speakers, go back to
hub at TV with blasters for Frontend, Stereo.

I have remotes labeled for each room that have IR code to run frontend
and stereo, and the TV in the room they are in.