[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:03:39 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:03 AM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> It sounds to me like there is a fair amount of interest in this.

I see O(20) people (engineering magnitude, 1, 2, 5, 10) so far.

While I am not saying that this is how it would be priced, as a pure
"contract" basis, it does not take a rocket scientist to calculate the
order of magnitude cost of the project ("a few months" times the
estimated fully burdened cost of a Long Island senior engineer).
As no one is suggesting that people have to work for free (I mean,
there are those that believe that others should do what they want,
when they want it, and how they want it done, for free, that is not a
real world reasonable expectation.  And while there are arguments
that the "starving artist" does the best work, sleeping on (what
will soon be ex-friends) couches is not what we should demand).
The only question is the estimate of how many people would
actually end up purchasing such a driver to calculate the order
of magnitude "price" (we will skip the entire time value of money
and related calculations, nor the ongoing support costs, etc.).
I am sure KernelLabs has better numbers of latent demand
based on their existing products, but right now, the committed
numbers would (again, on a pure not losing money basis) result
in numbers that would likely give most non-commercial users
some pause.