[mythtv-users] Nielsen wants to know...

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Aug 24 15:56:29 UTC 2015

Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> I have participated is several Nielsen ratings surveys over the years.  The most recent survey had provisions for time shifting DVR usage, where you recorded the date and time that the program originally aired.  In my case, the shows I was watching had originally aired 8-12 months earlier, so I reckon any decisions made about those programs based on ratings had long since been made and my survey entries were likely of little value.

Maybe about individual shows, but I suspect there'll be statistics about what different types of people do with timeshifting - and that will feed back into decisions. It may even feed back into "this sort of program tends to be watched <time period> later".

It'll certainly be of interest to advertisers. People watching (say) a month later may be of no interest if it's a short term campaign, but may still be of interest if it's a long term and/or "brand awareness" campaign. This sort of thing will influence how much they are prepared to pay for air time.