[mythtv-users] family acceptance test.

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at zoho.com
Wed Aug 19 12:22:02 UTC 2015

Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote on Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 10:10:16AM +0100:
> On 18/08/15 11:00, Robin Gilks wrote:
> >I for one have found the new UI MythMusic to be excellent but for one
> >small niggle!!
> >
> >The volume level popup which 'eats' all further remote control keys (other
> >than ESC) until it times out and disappears. This may be a MythCentre-Wide
> >theme issue but *I* find it *so* irritating!!
>
> Attached is a simple patch that should do what you want for the volume
> popup. I can't say I've tested it very well so YMMV :)
>
> Just to elaborate on why we don't do this by default.
>
> In the early days of switching to MythUI we did pass all unhandled key
> presses to the underlying screens until something handled it but that caused
> unexpected behaviour and crashes. One example I remember was lets say in the
> picture gallery you press DELETE to remove an image and a popup asks you
> 'Are you sure' you press PAGE DOWN by mistake which the popup ignores and
> passes it to the screen underneath which move the highlight to another
> image. Which image gets deleted in this case?
>
> It's easier and safer to make the popups behave in a modal way like most
> people are used to in most window managers especially when all you need to
> do is press ESCAPE to close them I don't really see that as a big problem.

I think a modal popup makes sense when the popup expects user input, like your
example with the delete confirmation. But purely informational popups could be
safely dismissed with any unhandled keypress, which is then passed on to the
screen below. This seems to be how the OSD in video playback works based on my
quick test. If you press I to bring up the Info window then immediately press M,
the info window disappears and the menu appears. Or, closer to the original
example: if you press a volume adjustment key and then immediately press the
right arrow, the volume popup disappears and you skip ahead.