[mythtv-users] clean install

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 15 23:36:13 UTC 2015

On 08/15/2015 06:13 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:

> Greetings Mythizens, Last month I tried to set my son, a software
> engineer for Amazon.com, up with MythTv. It didn't go so well. I tried
> first with software center and it went into that grey "who knows what
> is going on state" so we aborted and tried "apt-get" which seemed to
> work... we started to configure the back end and ran into a problem
> with recognizing the tuner, so I suggested a reboot, after which we
> could not get into anything. So here we are, a total novice, me,
> trying to tell a programmer, my son, how to proceed. It became more
> like work, that he had just spent the last eight hours getting paid
> for, and I'm sure he would have rather spent time with his beautiful wife.
> We aborted and nothing has been done since, my thought is to wipe all
> previous efforts and start again, and I think he may have done that
> between the first two attempts (maybe not as through as necessary). Is
> there anyone out there willing to explain to my son in full programmer
> language a successful way to set himself up from this point? TIA  Daryl

Hi Daryl

I am working on a new "User's Manual" which will eventually have a set
of quick-start guides for various situations, to get people going more
easily.

I can have a go at helping you and your son and in the process get
insight into the problems he is facing as a user of MythTV. This way I
can make the eventual user manual better.

To see the work in progress user manual, navigate to here
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Pgbennett
Click on the links in the "New Table of Contents". Be aware that some of
the pages still have the Old Table of Contents embedded, so come back to
the original page rather than navigate to links there. When the work is
complete the old table of contents will be removed and the new one embedded.

You can email me or the list with specific questions and I will try to
walk you through. For a start it would be helpful to know what operating
system distribution you are using (Ubuntu, Mythbuntu, Debian, etc.) and
version, also what type of tuner you have.

Peter