[mythtv-users] family acceptance test.

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 22:49:20 UTC 2015

On 08/13/2015 12:26 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 8:48 AM jedi <jedi at mishnet.org
> <mailto:jedi at mishnet.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 05:28:15PM +0000, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>     > On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:21 AM Stephen Villano <
>     > stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
>     <mailto:stephen.p.villano at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     > > On 8/12/15, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com
>     <mailto:t004 at kbocek.com>> wrote:
>     > > >
>     > > >
>     > > > On 8/12/2015 8:38 AM, John Marshall wrote:
>     > > >>> So my question:
>     > > >>> Anybody who has managed to integrate an easy to use
>     interface for
>     > > >>> his/her music collection in mythtv ?
>     > > >>> One that can pass both family acceptance tests ?
>     > > >>
>     > > >> I already have Kodi on the menu so I can use it for MLB.tv,
>     so I use
>     > > >> that for music, too.  I don't think the family uses it
>     much, but I
>     > > >> find it easier to use.  There are plugins for streaming
>     services, too.
>     > > >
>     > > > Just last night my wife asked me to start up her playlist
>     for the first
>     > > > time since I upgraded from 0.24 to 0.27.4. I could see all
>     my playlists
>     > > > were there. I couldn't figure out how to just select one and
>     get it
>     > > > playing.
>     > > >
>     > > > Doesn't pass *my* acceptance test.
>     > >
>     > > It appears that some changes haven't been very popular.
>     > > Does anyone *like* MythMusic in its current version?
>     > > mythtv-users mailing list
>     > > mythtv-users at mythtv.org <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>     > > http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
>     > > MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
>     >
>     >
>     > I'm going to save everyone a lot of time. Some users don't like
>     the new
>     > mythmusic. The people that created the new mythmusic do like it.
>     So if you
>     > don't like it, you have 3 options.
>
>        That snark overlooks the fact that it was fine the way it was
>     before.
>     Someone got it in his head that something that wasn't broken
>     needed fixed.
>     Then he went away in a huff when he actually got some real
>     feedback about
>     all of his changes. Unfortunately, it was too late then becaues
>     his damage
>     had already been done.
>
>        The entire thing was mismanaged.
>
>        Perhaps some feedback should have been obtained before
>     stabotaging what
>     was a perfectly decent plugin.
>
>        Why should the rest of us have to clean up the mess or even be
>     inconvenienced
> [...]
Users should *always* be part of the development process, however, some
user requests would be far too impractical or such a rare niche that
development of a singular requested feature wouldn't be worth limited
developer time.
But, when one makes sweeping changes, one should first put suggested
changes onto a list for discussion with the users. That saves one from
blow-back when an undesirable change is made that the majority of users
dislike and one even can get suggestions on implementation of features
and functions that can lessen one's work.