[mythtv-users] share shows in car.

John Marshall mythtv at marshallparty.org
Thu Aug 13 14:47:35 UTC 2015

On 8/12/2015 10:00 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
> On 13/08/2015 12:06 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if anyone has any recommendation for sharing  mythtv
>> recordings between devices in a car. I am thinking about installing
>> router in car with couple usb ports and have usb hard drive
>>
> I use a Raspberry PI runing Raspbian / MiniDLNA Server / uDisks / USB
> GPRS Dongle / Wifi Dongle / a few 64Gb USB Memory Sticks (1 for each
> child) / 7 Port Hub - all contained in a Plastic Lunch box with a 12v -
> 5v voltage regulater - a 2A Car phone charger will do.  I also run a
> Temp Sensor / Munin and gpsd with a USB GPS Receiver - but I am yet to
> find an android client for gpsd that works well - idea was that the kids
> (and driver) can use google maps to see where we are and answer the "are
> we there yet" question themselves.
>
> Display devices are Dual Core Android Tablets (cheap chinese units -
> 12.1" screen) using BSPlayer and BubbleUPNP.   The Dual core tablets
> handle anything my Myth system has recorded (MPEG2) without transcoding
> and the system happily streams content to 4 tablets.
>
> I use a script on the Myth System via a userjob to copy recordings to
> usb sticks that renames the file based on Title/Subtitle or (Title &
> Series/Episode No's).  So we can easily select media and export to the
> car system.

Wow - sounds cool!  I don't have it handy to confirm the model, but I
think I have this device:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704138

I installed OpenWRT on it.  It creates a wifi network and shares files
from an attached USB stick.  The kids have Nexus 7s running Kodi, which
has built-in support for playing off NFS.  I have a job to convert
recordings to mp4 since the tablets don't have mpeg2 support.  Overall
it works well, but marking all the commercials and transcoding is sort
of time-consuming.  The battery in it is handy at pit stops - no need
for it to have to restart when the car power stops.