[mythtv-users] family acceptance test

Nicolas Krzywinski myth at site7even.de
Wed Aug 12 23:38:53 UTC 2015

> Message: 15
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 20:08:57 +0000
> From: Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com>
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] family acceptance test.
>>> would have done it?  No.  Could it be improved?  Sure.  But I don't
>>> think it deserves this level of hate.
That's right. It is perfectly usable ... when using one playlist all
the time.
Though the mechanics to fill up a playlist is quite smart as well, the
management of multiple playlists is confusing.
So, there should be no black/white judgement.

> I'd argue vocal minority. People that like it don't bother to pipe up
> on
> the mailing list about it. People that don't like it are more likely
> post about it. I had similiar threads when I changed the Mythbuntu
> theme's
Please be aware that for anyone posting on a mailing list there may
exist multiple people sharing the same thoughts that never would post
here and instead silently give up.
Of course no one would search for a forum or mailing list if everything
works fine, but this does not tell about the proportions of those pro
and contra groups.

Example "me": I also struggled with mythmusic often, leaving it in
"reduced usage", but would never have started posting about this.... as
there are so many alternatives that it is of minor importance to me. But
I would increase its usage if the handling would be better! So don't
count me on any side - I am no hater and no liker of mythmusic.

> recordings and videos screens. So much that I decided to release the
> old
> version as a "classic" version of the theme (as it was easy enough to
> do).
> Less than 1% of all mythtv users use that classic theme (0.8%, 60
> users),
> and the Mythbuntu theme (the one with the changes that were
> "universally
> hated") is used by 50X more users
Naaaaah.... this was different. After you fixed the flaws of the
updated theme, there was no need to use the classic variant anymore. We
made some trouble to us and didn't take the straight way, but in the end
we worked out a result that combined both, the classic and the updated
benefits. At least this is my reflection of the story.

Being the humans we are, we are free to decide between chosing the same
road as in the past or to chose a different one this time.

Or in other words: sometimes the actual topic isn't the big deal, but
how to handle it.