[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Mon Aug 10 19:10:05 UTC 2015

I'd also be willing to pay for an HDPVR2 driver even though I retired my MythTV infrastructure several years ago. I got many good years from MythTV prior to Shaw releasing the Gateway system and am happy to give back a bit for those still using MythTV.

I also have 2 licences for my  2 HDPVR1's using HDPVRCapture on OSX so am familiar with the KernelLabs' work.  Don't use them very often though.

On August 10, 2015 9:12:12 AM PDT, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
>OK, I will go on record as saying I would be willing to pay for an
>HDPVR-2
>driver for MythTV, although it might be a while before I would actually
>be
>ready to use it. I have 3 HD-PVR1's of which 2 are in use, so I plan to
>go
>on using these until they die, but that day is coming eventually and
>when
>it does, it will likely be difficult or impossible to replace them, so
>would pay to ensure there is a replacement option when I need it.
>
>My biggest concern with this is that the content providers will
>eventually
>talk the FCC into closing the "analog hole", which would render all of
>the
>HDPVR devices useless for my purposes.
>
>--Greg
>

>On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 2:45 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have sent Hauppauge several emails over the last several months
>asking
>> for development information for the HD-PVR2.  I explain that I am a
>MythTV
>> developer and would like to add support for it.  In each case their
>> response has been just a terse "It is still in beta".  They don't
>seem to
>> have any interest in a MythTV developer adding support for the
>device.
>>
>> Devin Heitmueller and I ended up talking about the HD-PVR2 recently,
>and
>> he mentioned that Kernel Labs has had working Linux support for the
>HD-PVR2
>> for a couple of years now.  Kernel Labs writes drivers and supports
>video
>> capture devices for the Broadcast/Audio/Video industries:
>>
>> http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?page_id=2
>>
>> They support all the different flavors of the HD-PVR2 (I was not
>> previously aware that there was more than one), and their driver
>supports
>> all of its various options and controls.  Devin says that their
>HD-PVR2
>> driver is very robust, and it would have to be to keep their clients
>> happy.  He says that the HD-PVR2 is a significant improvement over
>the
>> HD-PVR including much better audio/video sync.
>>
>> Long story short, Kernel Labs is willing to consider making their
>HD-PVR2
>> driver available for MythTV users.  It would not be free, but the
>price
>> would be a fraction of what they normally charge.  Devin would even
>be
>> willing to write the MythTV code to make it all work.
>>
>> As a bonus, Devin says that he would do a complete code-audit of
>MythTV's
>> V4L2 'recorder', optimizing it and removing the cruft that has built
>up
> [...]

Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting Ltd.
Creating Solutions for the small and medium business computer user.
harondel at pdscc.com (use pgp keyid 0x3AD5C11D) http://www.pdscc.com
(604) 739-3709 (voice)