[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Aug 10 20:57:24 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 12:56 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> Would you still be willing to pay for it if there was an open source
>> driver from Happauge available?
>
> Well, not normally (although better supported would have value), but.....
>
> The Hauppauge "leak" was filled with proprietary code licenses.
> It is not open, and you likely do not the right to use it (unless you
> get your lawyer to produce a finding that you can ignore the license
> and proprietary/confidential words).

I wasn't trying to suggest that anyone use that version, but rather
that the existence of that version is evidence that Hauppauge is/was
working on a driver and that this driver might be released at some
point in an official form.

My question (which no one has answered), is more about whether a third
party driver makes sense from a business point of view.  Even if the
third party driver is better in some respects, is is better enough to
get people to pay for it if another working driver is available for
free?  I certainly wouldn't be investing in that sort of business
plan.

Eric